Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Critical Reflection IV

      In the Critical Thinking, Reading, Writing, and Research: Writing section, I have worked on the goal of "Accurately paraphrase and summarize scholarly source material to use as support in a research-based text." This is shown through the use of the information provided to me from the sources that I used to add into my research paper. It is evident in my blog post Critical Reflection II : "I read the articles and made an outline of the important information in the text. I made sure to note anything that was interesting or could be very helpful for me towards my research. I paraphrased some quotes because they had information that I found to be useful on my topic." My research paper displays the summaries and paraphrases that I have used to add information on my topic. One example is where I mention the views on romance novels. I summarized Janice Radway's explanation on what makes a romance novel "romance" :"...according to Janice Radway's book... in order for a novel to qualify as a romance, it has to have a story that focuses on events involving courtship and the feelings associated with the courtship." 

    In the Critical Thinking, Reading, Writing, and Research: Research section, I have worked on the goal of "Independently evaluate the credibility of source material and its relevance and appropriateness to the writer's task, purpose, and audience." I have worked on this goal through the use and examination of the sources that I used in my research. I made sure that the sources were scholarly; "I determined if the texts were scholarly by clicking on the scholarly texts icon in the databases; this gave me sources that were scholarly" as stated in the blog Critical Reflection II. My annotated bibliography also helps show my work on this because it clearly shows that the sources I chose dealt with an aspect of my topic of romance novels. One source is Radway, Janice. Reading the Romance; Women, Patriarchy, and Popular Literature. Chapel Hill and London: The University of North Carolina Press, 1984. Print.  

    In the Knowledge of Conventions section, I have worked on the goal of "Accurately use in-text and bibliographic conventions of a recognized documentation system (including summary, paraphrase,and quotation)." The work done on this goal is clearly seen in my research paper. I have correctly used the in-text citations to give credit towards the source of most of my information in the paper. These in-text citations are citing the sources that I paraphrased or summarized. I did not directly quote anything from the sources that I used, but I still may. One example of the in-text citations is "...the heroines possess the supernatural powers, but the heroes do not transform them since they are not considered 'monsters'... (Booth 98)." This shows that I have, in deed, given credit to the person that said this information. Throughout my paper, it is evident that I give credit to the authors whose sources that I used for information.


No comments:

Post a Comment